Pedestrian Safety Tips
Many people enjoy walking or jogging along sidewalks for exercise or transportation. While this can be a wonderful way to get some fresh air as well as save your gas money, pedestrian activities can become dangerous if the person makes unsafe decisions, vehicle drivers are reckless, or the sidewalks and roads are improperly constructed.
In the past thirty years, estimates show that over 180,000 pedestrians have been killed in motor vehicle accidents. Even if a pedestrian does not die in this type of accident, persons may suffer from horrendous injuries that may leave them paralyzed and unable to live a normal life. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, it is important to contact an experienced Iowa pedestrian accident attorney of LaMarca Law Group, P.C. at 877-327-2600.
Ways to Stay Safe
As a pedestrian, there are several things that you can do to help keep yourself and your loved ones out of harm’s way. You can protect yourself and your loved ones by:
- Following designated pedestrian signs
- Staying on the sidewalks
- Walking in the direction of oncoming traffic if no sidewalks are available
- Cross only in marked crosswalks at the correct time
- Staying away from freeways
- Wearing bright, white, or reflective clothing
- Don’t assume that drivers will stop or yield for you
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
When a human body is hit by a car, it typically suffers from devastating injuries, such as:
- Head trauma and brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken or shattered bones
- Deep lacerations
- Scrapes from the road (road rash)
Even if you are safe and conscientious of your surroundings, negligent or reckless actions on the part of a driver can still injure you or those you love. If you have been hurt in an accident, contact an Iowa pedestrian accident lawyer from LaMarca Law Group, P.C., at 877-327-2600 today to discuss your case.