The Federal Tort Claims Act for Motor Vehicle Accidents

A person injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by a serious road defect may be entitled to pursue financial compensation from the government. However, these claims can be more complicated than regular personal injury cases due to the legislation used to protect the government from many forms of lawsuits. This law, known as the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), adds a step to the process of filing for compensation, often leading to confusion and frustration among injured claimants.

If you’re considering filing for compensation for your auto accident injuries, you may want to discuss your situation with an attorney to learn more about the steps you should take in a case involving municipal negligence. For more information about how to get started with your claim, contact a dedicated Iowa auto accident attorney of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., today at 877-327-2600.

FTCA Administrative Claims

A person injured in an auto accident caused by a road defect resulting from municipal negligence may file a lawsuit against the government agency responsible. In order for these claims to be accepted, a person needs to follow these rules:

  • Administrative claims must be filed within 2 years of the injury
  • The agency has 6 months to decide whether to accept, modify, or decline a claim
  • A person has 6 months after that decision to file a formal lawsuit or not
  • Administrative claims must be filed with an exact, defined expected compensation sum

When people file these claims, they’re expected to provide information that is crucial to the case, such as evidence and medical records. An experienced Iowa auto accident lawyer can help you gather the necessary paperwork for administrative claims.

Contact Us

If you’re searching for someone to help you with your administrative claim against the government, we may be the right firm to assist you. To discuss your options in further detail with an experienced advisor, contact an Iowa car accident lawyer of LaMarca Law Group, P.C., by calling 877-327-2600 today.

The Search Engine Guys